Written by: Ly Phan
This past Tuesday, herNetwork hosted a workshop on personal branding on social media. The workshop was led by our ex-VP of Social Media and current VP of Community Outreach,Sophia Smith and our current VP of Social Media, Meredith Wilshere. Here are a few of our takeaways from this workshop:
- Remember to keep it appropriate and professional because employers can “google” you anytime.
- Hashtags are great to promote your posts but be careful not to overuse it.
- There are many ways for you to improve your LinkedIn profile, including having a summary and adding relevant courses that you have taken.
- Having a blog or a personal website is great especially for Marketing and Advertising student. It is a great way to show of your aesthetic, personality and also your portfolio!
- Lastly, don’t forget to have fun with it!
After sharing tips on personal branding on social media, Sophia and Meredith also gave attendees tips on creating their own elevator pitch. Having an elevator pitch in hand is great for networking as well as for career fairs. After having a little time to practice, we got to hear Meredith’s and our President, Jackie’s, elevator pitches! Their pitches were great because they were able to mention their skills, and at the same time had interesting facts about themselves that make the pitches sound less rehearsed and more personal. Having fun facts about themselves in the pitch also enables employers or whoever the listeners are to build off that and keep the conversation going.