Written by: Nicole Renteria
Although the weather may show no signs of letting up, spring really is right around the corner! Before you know it, you’ll be leaving behind your parka and snow boots and swapping them out for sundresses and flip flops. If you’re anything like me, then you spent the winter hiding from the outside world, curled up with a Netflix series and a jar of Nutella. Well, no more excuses ladies! Time to get up and get active! Here are a few tips to jumpstart your new workout routine:
- Skip the bus and walk to class instead. We’ve got a really spread out campus, so use it to your advantage! Carve out a few extra minutes in your morning routine and hit the streets before class. Worried about those cute heels giving you blisters? Maybe find some room in your bag for them, and lace up your sneakers for the walk. You’d be surprised just how many calories you can burn in a mile walk, plus that incline we all dread towards the BU bridge will do wonders for those calf muscles!
- Don’t be afraid of FitRec! We have a beautiful, well-equipped gym with a killer view. Take advantage of it! Everyone at the gym is there for the same reason: to get in shape. There are three floors in the gym, each with different types of machines, so find one that best suites your workout routine and stick with it. The best way to feel confident at the gym is to have a game plan, and if someone is using the weight or machine you need, don’t be afraid to ask for how much longer they’ll be using it. Your workout matters just as much as the sweaty guy’s next to you.
- Create a workout plan for the days of the week. Nothing is worse than doing a million squats on Tuesday and then trying to run a marathon on Wednesday. Designate each day of the week to a certain muscle group that you want to work on and keep a log of what you accomplished at the gym that day. Keeping track of your workouts is a great way to see the progress you’re making not just in your appearance, but in your physicality and endurance.
- STRETCH, STRETCH, STRETCH!! Most of us just want to get in and get out when we’re working out and we often skip one of the most important parts of our workout: to stretch! Your muscles need time to break down all the lactic acid that’s been building up at night while you sleep and all day as you sit at a desk. Rolling out your muscles is a great way to break it down and get you limber enough to start throwing around some weights!
- Sleep is your best friend. You can’t perform at your best unless you are well rested, so make sure you’re catching enough zzz’s at night! If you skip out on this last important step, there could be some serious consequences. Working out while running on no sleep could lead to accidents that could cause serious injuries. So get some sleep! No one likes a grumpy gym partner!
Lastly, I’ll leave you with one final tip: abs are made in the kitchen! If you want to look and feel good come spring, keep an eye on what you’re eating on a day to day basis. Trust me, I enjoy a nice greasy slice of pizza as much as the next guy, but maybe find a healthy alternative to chow down on! Get proactive with your workout routine, before you know it the flowers will be blooming and you’ll be feeling confident while rocking those shorts!